"The Furniture," by Daniel Walber, is our weekly series on Production Design. You can click on the images to see them in magnified detail.
Colossal is a movie built upon one very, very big metaphor. Gloria (Anne Hathaway) and Oscar (Jason Sudeikis) are highly destructive people, each at a different stage of addiction and personal crisis. They also have kaiju-sized avatars that tromp across Seoul every time they drunkenly stumble through a playground at 8:05am, the result of a bizarre electro-magical accident. It’s quite the premise.
But it works because director Nacho Vigalondo doesn’t rely exclusively on CGI monsters to get his point across. After all, they are only exaggerated versions of Gloria and Oscar, stomping through their lives. It matters not whether their feet land on a playground or through the first floor of an office building.
Or, as the case may be, their homes »
- Daniel Walber
Similar News ItemsAnne Hathaway
- World of Children Awards 2017 Announces Honorees (From Look to the Stars. 22 September 2017, 8:15 AM, PDT)
- Olivia Munn Claims Making a Cameo in 'Ocean's Eight' Came With a Cost (From Entertainment Tonight. 20 September 2017, 9:31 AM, PDT)
- Taking The 'High' Road: The Best Stoned Celebrity Confessions Ever (From PEOPLE.com. 20 September 2017, 8:43 AM, PDT)
- Here’s What’s Coming to Netflix in October 2017 (From Collider.com. 20 September 2017, 8:41 AM, PDT)
- ’30 Rock’: The 25 Episodes You Need to Watch Before Tina Fey’s Iconic Comedy Leaves Netflix (From Indiewire Television. 19 September 2017, 8:58 AM, PDT)
- ’30 Rock’: The 25 Episodes You Need to Watch Before Tina Fey’s Iconic Comedy Leaves Netflix (From Indiewire. 19 September 2017, 8:58 AM, PDT)
- Location Basque Country: Upcoming Basque Movies (From Variety - Film News. 25 September 2017, 12:52 AM, PDT)
- Location Basque Country: A Tale of Three Provinces (From Variety - Film News. 24 September 2017, 11:31 PM, PDT)
- Blumhouse Partners With Neon to Manage BH Tilt Label (From Variety - Film News. 7 September 2017, 10:12 AM, PDT)