Will Netflix go completely hog-wild and spend upwards of $20 million per hour of content for an original TV series?
CFO David Wells, noting that the internet video subscription now has 104 million customers worldwide, said that the economics of Netflix’s model could support such unheard-of production budgets given its global audience base.
“Certainly, we can support that level of quality if the [audience] is there,” said Wells, speaking Tuesday at Goldman Sachs’ Communacopia conference in New York City.
Wells, it should be pointed out, was speaking entirely hypothetically. But he said as Netflix looks to capture potentially billions of global customers, such sky-high TV productions are in the realm of possibility. “Content is becoming more global,” he said. “People are becoming more connected.”
For 2016, Netflix has said it expects to spend about $6 billion on content (including original productions), with that rising to about $7 billion next year. Much of that spending has been funded by debt and is accounted »
- Todd Spangler
Similar News Items"Game of Thrones" (2011)
- Gotham Season 4 Cast Photo Reveals Haunting Skyline of Villains and Heroes (From TVLine.com. 20 September 2017, 10:42 AM, PDT)
- Outlander Wasn't Nominated For Any Emmys For This Reason (From BuzzSugar. 20 September 2017, 10:10 AM, PDT)
- ‘Game Of Thrones’: Another Potential Prequel In Works (From Deadline TV. 20 September 2017, 10:03 AM, PDT)
- Shonda Rhimes Calls Emmys 2017 'Embarrassing' After Hoopla Over Historic Wins (From Rolling Stone. 19 September 2017, 2:12 PM, PDT)
- Shondaland Drama For the People Shuts Down Production Temporarily (From TVLine.com. 19 September 2017, 1:28 PM, PDT)
- Shonda Rhimes’ Lifestyle Website Shondaland.com Has Arrived (From Women and Hollywood. 19 September 2017, 1:01 PM, PDT)
ABC Studios [us]
- Watch The First Trailer For Marvel’s The Punisher On Netflix (From The Hollywood News. 20 September 2017, 7:48 AM, PDT)
- ABC Buys ‘We All Got Junk’ Semi-Autobiographical Family Comedy From Stephen Schneider & Will Gluck (From Deadline TV. 14 September 2017, 3:58 PM, PDT)
- Randall Einhorn Inks ABC Studios Deal (From Deadline TV. 13 September 2017, 4:09 PM, PDT)